Hindmarsh are proud to announce that we have started immediate work on this prestigious refurbishment and upgrade project!
2 Innovation Road will be delivered on behalf of Macquarie University and their partnering tenant, the Woolcock Institute of Medical Research (the Woolcock), a renowned medical research organisation specialising in respiratory and sleep health. Bringing together more than two hundred medical researchers, the Woolcock is ranked by Times Higher Education as the number one specialist sleep and respiratory health research centre in the world.
Between now and early 2024, Hindmarsh will undertake the complete refurbishment of the existing site at Macquarie University’s Wallumattagal Campus, and new build elements, including the Lifecycle Upgrade of the building to meet both the current compliance requirements as well as providing a level of flexibility and adaptability to allow for future change of the next building lifecycle. These upgrades include:
- Fit outs to meet the workplace requirements of the various clinic, administrative, academic, research and student functions.
- Façade cladding replacement, including replacing all existing windows with more energy efficient double-glazed units.
- Full refurbishment of the North building, excluding some shell space locations on L3 and L1.
- North Building Level 3 – Internal alterations inc. demolition of existing office layout & fitout to facilitate a PC2 Wet Lab.
- Installation of new plant on the rooftop of the Northern Wing to support the new PC2 Wet Lab.
- Construction and commissioning of PC2 labs.
- BCA Upgrade.
- Upgrade of all associated building services.
- Supply of a cold shell space only for the South Building.
- 5 Star green star certified building.
When asked about the project, David Last, Hindmarsh State Manager – Construction NSW said, “Hindmarsh are proud to be given the opportunity to deliver the specialist upgrade works for this state-of-the-art facility at Macquarie University.
“Hindmarsh has a long-standing legacy of delivering research facilities in the ACT and SA and look forward in continuing this in NSW. This type of project is exactly the kind of opportunity which Hindmarsh relishes in delivering, and directly correlates with our company ethos ‘Creating the leading communities, sustainable buildings, learning hubs and social infrastructure for future generations’.
“I would like to thank the University and Turner & Townsend for giving us the opportunity and the Hindmarsh’s project team, our suppliers, subcontractors, and consultants for ‘hitting the ground running’ to ensure we can deliver this exciting research facility institute on time, in a safe manner.”
The refurbishment and upgrade project will facilitate closer ties between the Woolcock and Macquarie University’s integrated medical research, teaching and clinical hub MQ Health, providing joint opportunities for multidisciplinary research from basic discovery through to innovations in clinical practice, leading to better outcomes for patients.
Watch this space and follow our social channels for future milestone updates as the project progresses.
Key design partners:
- Architect : MCA
- Project Manager: Turner and Townsend
- Structural / Façade Consultant: TTW
- Services Designers: ARUP, COVA Group, Raston Electrical , ICR Air Conditioning, Hi Tech Plumbing , Premium Fire and Hoslab
- Fire Consultant: Holmes Fire
- ESD: Thermal Environmental
- Traffic: Transport Strategies
- Access: iAccess Consultants
- BIM: IIMBE
- Acoustic: Stantec
- Dangerous Goods: Riskcon
- Lab Advisor: Kuttner Collins and Partners
- AV: Haron Robson
(CGI is artist impression only – maybe subject to change)